ISO 45001 in 45 minutes: Clause 9 – Performance Evaluation
Clause 9 is personally my favourite clause as it is a culmination of all the work you have put into action.
Lets kick off with Clause 9.1
Clause 9.1. OHS performance, monitoring, management analysis and evaluation
A process for evaluating the OHS performance including methods criteria to ensure results (what, where, how and who)
- Have legal requirements been met?
- Are activities and operations relative to hazards and risk effectiveness of operational controls?
- What is the progress toward objectives?
9.1.1. Determine the OHS performance and OHS management system effectiveness
- Calibrate or verify the OHS monitoring, measuring of equipment
9.1.2 . Evaluation Compliance
This is a process for evaluating compliance to legal and other requirements
- Frequency and methods
- Evaluate compliance and take action
- Knowledge of compliance status and retain records
Clause 9.2. Internal Auditing
Perform internal audits to confirm:
- If the OHS management system conforms to ISO45001
- If the organisation conforms to own arrangements, if implemented and maintained
The organisation shall establish an audit programme as per ISO 19011
- Frequency, methods, criteria, auditor (competency)
- Audit results are reported to workers and interested parties
- Take action to address audit findings
- Retain records
Clause 9.3. Management Review
The management review includes a set of inputs and outputs as below:
- Status of action from precious review
- Changes to internal/external issues
- Needs and expectations of the internal parties and workers
- Legal and other requirements
- Have OHS objectives and policy commitments been met?
- Risks and opportunities and action plans
- Decisions on continued suitability adequacy and effectiveness
- Continual improvement opportunities
- Changes to OHS management system
- Any actions
- Effect of Strategic Direction
And thats a wrap up of Clause 9 of ISO 45001. Be sure to check out our other episodes in this series.