All things Certification
Road to certification
- Starts with a strategic decision. – it is important to be intentional about the implementation of a system which will add value and protect against liability and acheievement.
- Business partners to support:
- Pre-certification GAP analysis (readiness)
- Receive application
- IAF MS
- Determination of the audit time and the quality of the environmental and occupational health and safety management systems
- The duration is based on the effective number of personnel (contractors)
- There will be an increase or decrease of time based on the nature of work and risk
- The maximum adjustment is 20%
- The auditor day is 8hrs, excluding breaks
- Audit Planning
- Transfer: Yes – Pretransfer review (1 day) and issue of certificate or if no theStage 1 audit (desk study and readiness) followed by corrective action and Stage 2 audit includes the audit report and corrective action
- Issue of Certificate
The certification has a 3 year validity which should include surveillance visits and corrective action
Why 3rd party certification?
- Certification removes barriers to trade
- Increases trust, assurance and confidence
- Independent audits sustain system robustness
- External auditors use their experience to improve the system
Are all conformity assessment bodies equal?
It is important to ask the market these questions:
- How are auditors being selected?
- internally or externally approved
- sector competency
- How is impartiality assured?
- What internal system does the certification body use?
- How does the certification body stay abreast of ISO standards?